115g plain flour
salt and fresh ground black pepper
900g stewing steak, cubed
4 tbsp Olive oil
2 Onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 Carrots, peeled and chopped
2 Parsnips, peeled and chopped
800g tinned chopped tomatoes
225g button mushrooms
750g Puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
1. Season the flour with salt and freshly ground pepper. Coat the stewing steak in the seasoned flour. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
2. In batches, fry the beef until browned. Using a slotted spoon transfer to a casserole dish. Re-heat the frying pan and fry the onion, garlic and celery for 5-10 minutes until softened and fragrant. Add the onion mixture, carrots and parsnips to the casserole.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, Guinness and mushrooms. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring now and then.
4. Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Divide the beef stew among 6 small individual pie dishes. Roll out the pastry and top each pie dish with a puff pastry lid, wetting the rims of the pastry dish with water to help the pastry to stick.
5. Brush the pies with beaten egg and cut a slash in each one. Bake for 45 minutes until the pies are golden-brown. Serve.